For YOUR COMMUNITY
Kaban Green Power Hub will bring a range of benefits to Ravenshoe and surrounding areas.
Watch this video to see the benefits another Neoen project brought to communities in Wunghnu, Numurkah in regional Victoria.
Wind Farm Benefits
- Kaban has excellent wind resource enabling it to provide affordable electricity: The region’s wind profile is different to most of the wind farms in the National Electricity Market, contributing to stronger supply during peak periods. Kaban is forecast to reduce time-weighted electricity prices for Queensland with a total $461 million of savings to the consumer over the life of the project.
- Significant investment and job creation in Far North Queensland: 250 direct jobs are expected to be generated during construction, and 5 permanent positions.
- Emissions reductions of 350,000T of CO2 or powering 95,900 homes, greater than the size of Cairns.
- Improved reliability of supply: as the region in the tropics at the northern fringe of the network, it is susceptible to lightning storms causing widespread outages. The Powerlink network upgrade will strongly reduce this risk.
- Cyclone resilience for Northern Queensland: the upgrade means it less likely that all the transmission circuits will impacted by cyclone conditions.
- Enables the connection of 150-180 MW additional generation in region.
- Other generation in Northern Queensland will benefit: including the Barron Gorge, Kareeya and Genex hydro projects.
- Job creation: Powerlink estimate 97 regional construction jobs for the transmission connection and upgrade.
The project also has a comprehensive community benefit sharing plan to support local skills development and Indigenous communities including:
- A Local Participation Plan has been developed with a target of 30% local employment & supply chain procurement.
- A comprehensive Indigenous Engagement Strategy co-designed with the Jirrbal Traditional Owners, includes a range of benefit-sharing measures as well as participation targets.
- A Community Benefit Fund: providing support for local community initiatives through a $50,000 annual Kaban Green Power Hub Community Benefit Fund.
- Supporting agriculture: providing diversified income streams to farmers who are involved in the project as host landholders.
Manager Construction & Assets
Moira Shire Council
Kaban Green Power Hub has a $50,000 annual Community Benefit Fund which will commence once the project is operational.
It will provides grants to local community groups and for community-building initiatives in the growth focus areas listed below.
This video shows how another Neoen project, Bulgana Green Power Hub in Victoria, funds community projects.
Community growth focus areas
Health and wellbeing
Strong connected communities
Sport and recreation
Arts and culture
Skills, education and training
Neoen focuses first on hiring local people for our projects. Locals know the land and have the skills and enthusiasm to support us during construction.
Our core team become regulars at local cafes and pubs, and we love to work with local suppliers who provide their products and services to help us over the life of the project.
Contractors and subcontractors will be hiring from mid 2021 as construction ramps up.
Sign up for updates on our jobs page.